Hosted by the Korea Chapter of the Asian Society of International Law together with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Korea, the conference on “Asia and International Law in Times of Uncertainty” will be held in Seoul on Friday 25 and Saturday 26 August 2017. Register now!
The program is now available here.
Conference highlights include:
- 2 plenary sessions featuring invited speakers, including Awn Shawkat AL-KHASAWNEH (Former Prime Minister, Jordan), LEE Hong-Koo (Former Prime Minister, Korea), Dipu MONI (Former Foreign Minister, Bangladesh) and Hassan WIRAJUDA (Former Foreign Minister, Indonesia) for the first plenary session; Hélène RUIZ FABRI (Director, Max Planck Institute Luxembourg), Vladimir GOLITSYN (President, International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea), OWADA Hisashi (Judge, International Court of Justice), SONG Sang-Hyun (Former President, International Criminal Court) and XUE Hanqin (Judge, International Court of Justice) for the second plenary session
- 30 parallel sessions, including “Ambassador’s Session” and “New Voices in International Law: Junior Scholar’s Workshop Wrap-up”, with more than 150 presentations
- Special sessions on “Criminalizing Human Rights Violations: Human Rights and Criminal Justice in Asia” with Professor Simon CHESTERMAN (moderator), Professor Kirsten Eve SELLARS, Judge Raul PANGALANGAN, Professor Ved Nanda and Professor Upendra D ACHARYA
- Special session on “International Legal Order in the Twenty-first Century World – From a West-centric to Multi-centric and Transcivilizational International Law?” with Professor LEE Keun Gwan (Moderator), Professor ONUMA Yasuaki, Professor AGO Shin-ichi, Judge XUE Hanqin and Professor Antony ANGHIE
- Junior scholar’s workshop with more than 60 participants (24 August 2017)
- Opening session with Keynote Speech by Former Secretary-General of the United Nations, H.E. Mr. BAN Ki-moon, and Congratulatory Remarks by KANG Kyung-wha (Minister of Foreign Affairs, Korea)
- Book exhibitions by AsianSIL institutional members and other exhibitors
- The award of the Paik Choong-Hyun Prize and the AsianSIL Young Scholar Prize
Please check the conference website regularly for further updates.