SYMPOSIUM ON EFFECTIVE CONTROL IN INTERNATIONAL LAW
CHINA UNIVERSITY OF POLITICAL SCIENCE AND LAW, BEIJING, CHINA
11 TO 12 NOVEMBER 2017
CALL FOR PAPERS
Effective control is a notion going through many branches of international law, and has been researched by many international law scholars and experts separately. Nevertheless, a systematic research focusing on this particular notion from the perspective of diverse branches of international law is missing, and deserves further research.
Inspired by this idea, School of International Law, China University of Political Science and Law (CUPL) is pleased, in association with the Asian Society of International law, to convene an academic symposium on the notion of “effective control” in international law in Beijing on 11-12 November 2017. This one-and-a-half day academic conference will aim to have a thorough discussion on this notion in many branches of international law, in particular the followings:
- Effective control in the element of a government in recognition of a new State;
- Effective control in recognition of a new government;
- Effectivité in the settlement of territorial disputes;
- Effective control in extraterritorial application of international human rights conventions;
- Effective control in internationalization of an armed conflict within a State;
- Effective control in occupation under international humanitarian law;
- Effective control in naval blockade under international humanitarian law;
- Effective control in attribution of responsibility to a State;
- Effective control in attribution of responsibility to an international organization;
- Effective control in territorial jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court.
We encourage participants to submit papers addressing the above topics.
Please provide the following,
- A 500 word abstract of the proposed paper before the deadline of June 25, 2017. Abstract must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please provide your Affiliation details and brief biography. This includes professional status, educational background, institutional affiliation, contact number and e-mail address. Please also provide any information about your publications and any other relevant information on your research or experience.
- Please indicate your affiliation to the Asian Society of International Law. Preference will be given to existing members of the Asian Society of International Law in the selection process.
- Successful applicants will be informed by June 30, 2017 and are required to submit their full paper to the Symposium organizers by October 20, 2017. The paper should not exceed 8,000 words (including footnotes) and shall be written in English.
- All enquiries about the paper selection process and the Symposium should be addressed to: email@example.com
The organisers will provide accommodation to all successful applicants, and sponsor air-tickets to a limited number of foreign successful applicants from their home cities to Beijing.